Study Abroad Opportunity
Participation in a study abroad program offers students a valuable academic and cross-cultural experience. A successful experience requires careful and thorough planning.
- Start the planning process by contacting the WWU Center for International Studies, International Programs & Exchanges.
- If you intend to seek financial aid to help fund your study abroad program, please review the following items:
- Most types of financial aid require a student to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). See our Financial Aid Application Process web page for more details.
- Review the Financial Aid Checklist to ensure you have completed important steps necessary for general financial aid eligibility.
- After working with International Programs & Exchanges to set up your study abroad program, visit the Financial Aid Department in Old Main 265 if you have questions.
Financial Aid Funding for Study Abroad Programs
If you are eligible for financial aid as a regular Western student you will be eligible for aid in an approved study abroad program. Your expected family contribution (EFC) will not change; therefore, if the approved study abroad program costs are greater than the standard cost of attendance, your financial need increases. Similarly, if the study abroad programs costs are lower than the standard cost of attendance, your financial need is reduced. Your financial aid award will be adjusted to match your resulting eligibility to the full extent possible.
Many of the various financial aid types available to you as a regular Western student are also eligible to fund your approved study abroad program. The following aid programs are eligible for use in study abroad:
- Federal Pell Grant
- Federal ACG and SMART Grant (certain limitations on coursework may apply)
- Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant
- Federal TEACH Grant
- Federal Perkins Loan
- Federal Direct Student Loan
- Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)
- State Need Grant
- Private Scholarships (depending on donor requirements)
Your actual financial aid award will depend on your aid eligibility and availability of funds.
Some financial aid resoures are not eligible to fund a study abroad program. These aid types include the following:
- Federal Work Study
- State Work Study
- Western Grant
- President's Scholarship
- Multicultural Acheivement Program (MAP) Scholarship
- Admissions Recognition Waiver.
- Other Western Tuition Waviers
Summer Study Abroad Financial Aid Estimator
Use the Summer Study Abroad Financial Aid Estimator to estimate your financial aid eligibility for your summer study abroad.
If you have any questions about your financial aid eligibility for a study abroad program please contact us.
Best wishes for a wonderful study abroad experience!