Financial Aid Services Center
Federal Tax Return Help is Available
Completing a federal income tax return can be daunting, especially for students trying to figure out whether scholarship and grant money is taxable or tax-free, or whether a tuition and fee expense is a deduction or credit.
For financial aid recipients, errors on your tax return may lead to delays in receiving financial aid assistance. Help is available to accurately complete your federal income tax return. Start with these excellent resources:
- The Form 1098-T is key and is provided to you by Western’s Student Business Office. Click for more information on this important form.
- Western's Beta Alpha Psi accounting society, in cooperation with the Internal Revenue Service, provides Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) as a free resource to students. VITA is staffed by student volunteers who are available to assist you with federal income tax related questions.
Western's hours, dates, and location for VITA:
- Open Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, 4:30pm - 7:30pm February 5 through April 15
- Closed February 18, and March 25 through April 1
- Location: Parks Hall 336
- Know what documents to bring
- Free tax help through the Bellingham Public Library is co-sponsored by AARP. For a list of times showing when help is available visit Locate Tax Forms and Local Assistance on the Bellingham Public Library website
- IRS Publication 970 - Tax Benefits for Education. Consult this publication on the IRS website to view all the rules and details regarding the tax treatment of educational scholarships and grants.
Federal Income Tax filing deadline: Monday, April 15.